Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

January 11, 2013

Hoops: Post Player Production by Minute

There has been an ongoing question of whether or not Mark Fox is playing the right guys the right minutes. In other words, would we be an eight loss squad if we had different player rotations.  Here are some numbers to consider:

Post Production Per Minute (highlights indicate top two):

Player
Min
 Pts/Min
 REB/Min
 TO/Min
FG %
John Cannon
152
0.34
0.22
0.07
52.4%
Nemi Djurisic
331
0.35
0.17
0.11
36.1%
John Florveus
179
0.16
0.17
0.08
61.1%
Tim Dixon
158
0.20
0.17
0.04
57.1%
Donte Williams
233
0.27
0.23
0.07
50.0%
Marcus Thornton
196
0.17
0.20
0.06
36.4%
 

To me, the stats above indicate the need to play John Cannon dramatically more.  He is simply more productive offensively than some of his counterparts when he actually gets minutes.  This is a kid who I admittedly disparaged regarding the sanity of offering a kid with so little interest from other schools.  So...I was wrong. He should play more.

Or...heaven forbid I was right and some of the other guys are just worse.

The stats above don't factor in defensive efficiency.  It's just a data point to consider.

I'll have a point guard productivity chart up in a few hours.

PWD


2 comments:

Mr. Sanchez said...

I think it's you may have been right, and the others are worse.

With Thornton's injury, I wonder if he has to take a medical hardship at the end of the year. But suffice it to say, I see no reason why Cannon isn't getting Florveus' minutes right now. Cannon and Dixon should have almost all of those 180 minutes divided between them.

MarkS31 said...

I think a lot of fans feel Cannon needs to be playing more. The only reason I can think he might not be is because of Fox's emphasis on defense (which is why Thornton, for all his offensive woes, is always getting playing time when he's healthy). I haven't seen Cannon play enough to know how he does on the defensive end, but that's the only reason I can figure out. At this point, however, the need for some offense is obvious. Cannon should be getting more time.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan